skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Skeleton Trees
There is some imagery that can magically transport you to another place and time. Imagery that is so atmospheric that you can feel the heaviness in the air, feel the dampness of the mist or the silence of the space. I love photographs of skeleton trees for this very reason. But even better than the bare tree, is a skeleton tree captured with ravens and crows sitting silently amidst their branches. The solid form of the dark bird, juxtaposed against the bare wispy branches of the dead tree...evoke such somber vibrations don't you agree? These austere images effectively permeate my mind with a dark, dank melancholy moodiness. What do you feel when you view them? Isolation, starkness, gloom perhaps? A picture that evokes some kind of feeling, ANY kind of feeling is always the best kind a photo to view. The one with the crows on the fence is my favorite...I want this one framed and hung on my wall. I don't know who captured that image....but it's simply superb! I also do not know the creators of the other two, but the last one of the very spooky, lonesome road was photographed by © Antonis Sarantos. And speaking of Skeleton Trees, if you want to read and view some images from a rather spooky and disturbing journal, check out this site for The Children of the Skeleton Trees: http://www.childrenoftheskeletontrees.com/

7 comments:
Those are incredible! That last shot is just downright spooky! LOVE IT!!!
As Villers de l'Isle-Adam said, not much is needed to create terror, just simple means, you don't see the Devil but his work. Crows and ravens, or even black birds have always been very sinister, and so are bare trees and foggy days. Those pictures are really beautiful, as terror usually is.
Those are stunning. Thanks for sharing them
Yes...these are excellent. I only wish that I had been the one to photograph that first one with the crows on the fence. Or that last one of the lonesome road. Or even just to have laid eyes on it in person would have been nice!
I love all of them! I've always been drawn to tall, skinny trees and didn't realize they had a name like that. When I was in the the Olympic Mountains, there was an area of them that I had to photograph, I loved sitting amongst them.
As you might remember from my MySpace blogging days, a path that leads into trees is one of my favorite images, that's one of the things I learned from blogging because every once in awhile I'd find a photo that I felt compelled to put in a blog. There's something about that image that is so powerful, it pulls you into the photo and makes you want to enter that reality.
Awesome photos!! Thanks!
I couldn't agree more Cat. :o)
Birch trees are also really good for this effect.
It's a double effect. Crows or ravens, often associated with death. And then the fog, what lies within it's shadowy realm?
Great visual find Wens.
Post a Comment