Tuesday, September 16, 2008

SteamPunk or Halloween Costume?

I like to stay abreast of the latest fashion trends. Not that I really follow any of them, as I like to have my own unique style. But I do like to borrow on the details when I can. One trend that I've been hearing about is "SteamPunk". For those of you unfamiliar with this trend you can get yourself 'in the know' on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
And although I do like certain aspects of the trend as it relates to products....I'm not quite certain I am digging how it translates in the fashion world. Just do a Google image search on the words Steampunk Fashion and you'll see what I mean. It appears so costume-ish that I just don't see this as something that is translatable to the common masses. Working at your computer all day, bound up in a corset, goggles and some clock parts just cannot be very comfortable. And I also couldn't help but think that some of it looks rather Goth and Marilyn Manson-ish! However, I DO love a good corset, and I found some that are perfect for the Halloween season! How creepy cool are these?! (SteamPunk Corsets by Louise Black and Kat Bret)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen that corset with the ribcage before but I can't remember where. Maybe Rue Morgue or Gothic Beauty Magazine.
Off the subject of Halloween, but on the subject of steampunk, check out this lounge in LA:
http://www.edisondowntown.com/main.htm
It looks so cool. I would love to go there.

Sandra Riffero said...

Was unfamiliar with Steampunk until now...interesting. I like the first corset the best.

Sandra Riffero said...

That web is pretty nifty, belle dee!

If you click on KEY 03 in the boiler room, the graphic that comes up in a vintage absinthe fountain. I have a piece of art started with one where Gio is drinking from it with his imaginary friends. Maybe when I get back to that one day he needs to be wearing something Steampunk....

I like the music they have running on that page, it's a bit haunting yet upbeat.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

WOW! Belle Dee...That lounge is INCREDIBLE! It is absolutely stunningly beautiful. I would LOVE to shoot fashion images in that place. And what a fabulous way to recycle something old into something new and useful without losing the the original intent and history to it. THANK YOU for sharing that, that was a real treat! Oh and Cat...that is one I must see of Gio...sucking down the Absinthe...ha!