Thursday, September 17, 2009

What Color is Hallowe'en?

I LOVE COLOR! There is no doubt that I am a color junkie to the core. Being a photographer and artist, it is only natural that I would love color. And I love to read books about color and color theory, because color has always played such a central role in my life, both personal and professional. Color speaks to us on a deep level, opening doorways to the mind and soul. Every day of our lives, we are affected by color. Color influences physical, psychological, and spiritual vitality.

Each season has it's own special colors associated with it, but in no season is color more prominently on display than in the Fall. In the Autumn, rich colors come to the forefront. Russet brown, gold, earthy red, the orange of falling leaves and the yellow of burnished crops being harvested in the fields. Maybe this magnificent show of color plays a large part in why I love the Fall Season and Hallowe'en so much. The season has always spoken to me on a very deep, spiritual level. And interestingly, color can invoke moods, emotions, memories and reactions from us in a most primal way. So when you think about the Fall season and things associated with Hallowe'en...what colors come to your mind's eye? Can you take a word and come up with a color palette to represent that word? Well many artists do just that when they are creating. They want to connect with us psychologically on a deeper level. So I thought I'd share some color palettes that were created by some cleverly artistic folks, to invoke the aura or memory of things associated with Fall and Hallowe'en. Enjoy, and take a look to see if the colors are successful at invoking the concept in your mind's eye.

BASIC HALLOWE'EN
AUTUMN OAK
OCTOBER'S GLOW
EDGE OF DARKNESS
JACK O'LANTERN
CANDY APPLES
SAMHAIN NIGHT
GHOST
TRICK OR TREAT
WICKED WITCH
CANDY CORN
MAGICKAL MOONLIGHT
VAMPIRE

9 comments:

Belle Dee said...

I might try & use a few of these palettes in some art! Thanks for sharing these!

KrisMrsBBradley said...

I'm a flat out basic Halloween color girl! Love the purples, greens, oranges and blacks together!

magikalseasons said...

October's glow are the colors I've choosen for my homes walls. Sage green too. Great colors to work off of. Alot of the paints I use have great names like maple surup and carmel candy. :)

Rue said...

Autumn Oak or Candy Apple are "me" - but I love all these colors! Very inspiring!

Bridgett said...

Actually, all of these spoke to me on some level. I love October Glow.

But honestly, aside from pink (which makes me feel nauseous looking at it), there isn't a color I dislike.

Love these palettes. :)

)O(
boo

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

This is a creat post! I work with color every day of my life too. These are great!

Cheers!

BelladonnasJoy said...

Very interesting color combinations. I like Autumn Glow and Samhain Night the most, but they are all so pretty. I'm a color freak too and always trying neat color combinations. Thanks

Mister D, the Dustwitch said...

I like the Jack O'Lantern, Samhain Night, & Wicked Witch.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

It's interesting to see what colors other people enjoy. My personal favorite is Trick or Treat as that is most of the colors in my bedroom and house, just add dark red. But I like them all as well! :o)