Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Hook-Man

Have you ever heard the story of 'The Hook-Man'? Some say it's an urban legend that made it's first appearance in pop culture in 1960 in a Dear Abby column. The general story is about lovers parking on lover's lane and a radio announcement comes on about an escaped patient from a state asylum who has a hook in place of his right hand and is considered very dangerous. The girl gets spooked and wants to go home. The boy is frustrated and undaunted by the reports, but finally relents and drives her home in a huff. When he gets to her house to drop her off and goes to open her door, he finds a bloody hook hanging from the handle. Moral of the story...don't be naughty teenagers and go necking in a secluded area, lest you come face to face with the Hook-Man. Other versions have the boy getting out of the car to check things out and not returning, thereby prompting the girl to go looking for him where she discovers him hung over the car by a hook, sliced and bleeding. Does this story scare you?

Well it used to scare the dickens out of me. And it's no secret that I am easily spooked. I have a really over-active imagination, especially when it comes to scary things. But I can squarely lay all blame for that on my older brother of 6 years, for constantly seizing on that quality of mine as a child, and taking every opportunity he could find to scare the living daylights out of me. But it wasn't usually done in the physical, 'jump out of a closet' kind of way....although he did plenty of that too. But he rather preferred a psychological form of torment, telling me they were true stories, playing on my mind and unleashing all those hidden fears that lay inside a young girl. He'd spin terrifying tales of the Hook-Man, and other oddities like Cannibalistic Pygmy Indians. Once he even diligently made a tape recording of the Hook-Man's voice and put it on the window sill outside my bedroom, and cracked the window just a tad so I wouldn't notice. And while I was in my room alone...I began to hear the voice. When I became still to listen more closely, it was the 'Hook-Man' whispering that he was standing outside my window and had come to get me. At the same time, my brother was hiding out there in the bushes shaking the branches and clawing on the window screen with something that convincingly sounded like a HOOK to me. Needless to say, I ran screaming down the hall to my parents room, certain of my impending doom. In comes my brother, laughing in complete hysterics at his sinister accomplishment. I hate him!

And what's so bad is that my Mother in all of her un-infinite wisdom, would let my tormentor babysit me. So he had a captive audience for every demented story he could come up with. My dear older brother would cut off the electricity in the garage and bang on the windows outside, while we screamed in the dark. He would chase me around the house with his huge pet tarantula spider, threatening to put it on me as I ran and screamed at the top of my lungs. (To this day, I have arachnophobia.) Once he even boiled spaghetti noodles, peeled the skins off the grapes and made bowls of ketchup and put them all in boxes with holes for your hand. And he made my cousin and I stick our hands in there to feel what we were told was brains, eye of newt and blood! I guess it does seem a bit funny now in retrospect. But he is the reason my mind begins to imagine all sorts of scary things when I hear a noise outside my window. And why I have never really enjoyed the sensation of being scared. I'm curious if anyone else remembers any Urban Legends or tales of horror inflicted on them by their siblings. Below is a short video I found on the 'Hook-Man'....enjoy!

Urban Legend - The Hook

9 comments:

Rue said...

I watched the Urban Legend movies. Silly, but scary! I'm a big frady-cat! I used to watch all kinds of scary movies - but not anymore!

It's a wonder you didn't end up in therapy with a brother like that - yeesh!

Wendy said...

Just stumbled across your blog and it seems that we have more in common than just our names. I, too, have an older brother who tormented me in much the same way as you described with your brother, although mine is only 5 years older than me - and I also spook really easily!

I don't remember the hook in the front door version of this urban legend but I remember one where the boy gets out of the car for some reason (was it a flat type or perhaps the car wouldn't start and he went to go for help?) and tells the girl to stay there and lock the doors. Shortly after he goes she hears a banging on the roof of the car but she cant see what's causing it. The police arrive moments later and tell the girl to get out of the car and run away quickly but to make sure she doesn't look back, which, of course, she does and sees the noise is the hook guy with the boys decapitated head on a stick banging it on the car roof. Not very nice at all but good scare fodder as a young kid.

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Oh, shoot, yeah! When we were really small, we lived in Okinawa. At that time, there were young local men who were going around robbing the soldier's houses. They called them "the stealy boys".

My father would actually (surprisingly, because he really is a nice guy, lol!) go outside our bedrooms and bang a mop on the windows and shake it to scare us! It was horrifying! Not really an urban legend, I guess, more of a prank, but scared the dickens out of me and my siblings!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Ha...yeah I probably should be in therapy Rue! And Mrs. B, I'm glad to know that I am not alone. :o)

Nice to meet you Wendy! Actually my brother is 5.5 years older, I just round up to 6. So yes, we do have some things in common. Some good, some maybe not so good...ha! And I think I've heard your version as well. Doesn't matter what version it is...it still scares me! Have a great weekend! :o)

The Gill-Man said...

Ahhh, I remember this urban legend from when I was a kid! Scared the bejeebus outta me! Of course, being an older brother, I would then tell the stories to my younger siblings! The only thing I love more than BEING scared is doing the scaring myself! Yeah, I'm warped that way.

One of my brothers was real good at getting mom and dad to believe him when he accussed me of some sort of preposterous slight. My way of getting back at him was to play pranks like these on him. My favorite was to make a "devil voice" through the vents of our house, which could be heard throughout (of course, I only did that if mom & dad weren't around!). Y'know, this may be a future blog topic!

Bridgett said...

I've seen the Urban Legends movies....they're sort of cheesy, but scary too.

I actually love horror movies. I guess I'm just a little warped. LOL

BTW, your brother sounds like a hoot! :D I'm an only child so I've never had any experiences like that. Maybe that's a good thing, yes? ;)

)O(
boo

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Oh yeah Bridgett, he was a real hoot....NOT! Be glad you're an only child...wish I had been...ha

And Gilly...shame on you. I bet your siblings are somehow scarred too. What is wrong with you older brothers anyway? Have you no mercy? :o)

Guillaume said...

The scariest urban legends and the ones I prefer are those which are bordering on the supernatural, like this one. It doesn't quite go there as the madman is rationalised (he is no monster but a madman), but one is left with a feeling of unease (a madman after all belongs to the irrational). And in the end of the story, the police has failed to catch the Hook-Man.

We had similar urban legends when I was a child (5-9 years old), but they were more imprecise. There was no specific story as far as I remember, but there were character or character types that had "done something". We were afraid of supernatural creatures like the Bonhomme Sept-Heures and Lustukru (read my blog for more), but I remember being terribly afraid of "the maniacs". I had no idea what they were or what they looked like, but I knew lots of stories about them, about them killing, maiming and torturing innocent victims. Those stories told thosr stories by my friends on my way to school on foggy autumn days, that was enough to give me nightmares for years.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Guillume...I always enjoy hearing your stories of childhood. I think that some of us are just predisposed to having over active imaginations that get the better of us from time to time. I think the stories that COULD be true are always the scariest for me. A monster that I know doesn't exist does not nearly scare me as much as a psycho crazy maniac who lurking in the shadows...ha! Thanks for sharing my friend! :o)