Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Has Halloween been Hi-Jacked?

Okay...so yesterday was my birthday and this weekend was spent in meetings and relaxing, so I didn't get any blogging done. But I am happy to report that my Toad from Hell has been evicted from the premises, whereby he quickly took up residence in our pool for awhile before 'easing on down the road'! However, my resolution still stands in tact, and I shall not be using the back bathroom ever again. Moving on....

There is something that is irking me and I can't help but wonder if anyone else is noticing this in their neck of the w
oods. But it is now my belief that someone has Hijacked Halloween this year. Like I said, my birthday was yesterday August 2. (These super cool Halloween graphics were sent by my fabulous friends and I thought they were worthy of sharing.) So... if we could rewind the clocks back to this same time last year, we would be seeing a completely different scenario from this year. By that I mean, in the last several years, the very first of the Halloween merchandise has begun to hit the stores 1-2 weeks prior to my birthday.

First and always first, is of course Micha
el's. It is a 'craft' store, so it only makes sense that they need to get their seasonal stuff in much earlier, so that crafters have the opportunity to craft things prior to their holiday shows in the Fall. And so Michael's usually always has their Autumn things out, just as they have had out this year. But they also usually have at least 2 full rows of Halloween goods, namely their little collectible haunted house thingies that make a bunch of wailing and screaming noises. But NOT this year! Fall yes, Halloween....not so much. 2 end caps of assorted glittery skull stuff was all that was out at all of our area Michael's stores. What's up with that? Why the delay?

Now my favorite store of all for Halloween items is a store called HomeGoods. We have about 4+ of them around us so the pickings are always great. And my husband goes out to the HomeGoods stores the week before my birthday and scopes out the first offerings, picking me up a thing or two for my birthday. Then on the weekend of my birthday, I get to be driven around to all the HomeGoods, Michael's
and Joanne's stores to spend my birthday money and bask in all the deliciousness of the upcoming Halloween season. But NOT this year!!!! No, he went to each and every HomeGoods several times in the last 2 weeks and there was STILL no Halloween. He finally got frustrated and asked someone what was up. And they said that they in fact do usually have their Halloween merchandise out before now, but for some reason this year it is late. And it is also late at Michael's and Joanne's.

So I believe there is a conspiracy going on. A Hi-jacking of Halloween this year.
I don't know who the perpetrator might be however....but I think Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny are prime suspects. Maybe even the economy or a trucker shortage that I've been hearing about. But all I know and care about is the fact that whoever is responsible for this atrocity should have to pay for ruining my well laid birthday plans! I even went back to my blog during these dates last year and found that sure enough...Halloween is later in coming this year. In fact, I think there were even a few magazines already out by the end of July last year and at my last check, which was Sunday....there were still NO Halloween mags out yet here. (Proof...Last year, Halloween Super Store began opening by July 10 and "Celebrate Fall" magazine was out by July 21st.)

So I am heading out again today....and by golly I better find some signs of Halloween or I'm staging a public protest in the town square! So what about the rest of you? Anything more than a few Halloween end caps at your Michael's or is this just an East Coast Hallo-shortage?

14 comments:

magikalseasons said...

Well first off Happy Birthday lady!!! I have noticed the same thing in my area. I'm not sure why. When I was in Michaels they had only glitter skulls. I love home goods they have some great stuff there. Well I hope you get your Birthday Wish and can find some Halloween goodies soon. I'm sure in the next couple weeks we'll be seeing more. Unless Halloween really has been hijacked. That would be scary!

The Gill-Man said...

Usually, the Michael's Stores around here only have a few items out until the first of August. Pumpkinrot and HalloweenQueen are both reporting that their Michael's stores are stocked on Halloween stuff, so maybe it's a local issue? HalloweenQueen even reports that the Halloween superstores in her area are opening! This never seems to occur around here until the last weekend in August.

I plan to go check out Michael's this week, so I'll let you know what I find!

AkasaWolfSong said...

A Very Happy Birthday Wendy and next time I'm out I will check and see what is up in our town!

Guillaume said...

I want first to wish you (late!) a happy birthday!

About the Halloween hijack my hypothesis: evangelical Christians. They are nasty against the holiday.

All That Glitters said...

Happy birthday!!!! I was curious where all the Halloween stuff was too! They do have it at Cracker Barrel!!!! Some really neat stuff too! I love Tj Maxx and home goods and and all that stuff for halloween decor!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!
Sadly, we don't have a Michaels in our dinky town. We only have Walmart and I haven't seen anything relating to Halloween there yet. They never have a great selection anyway. My sister works at a craft store in Ohio and has been putting out Halloween items for a few weeks now. I guess it depends on the store and where one lives.

Witchkrafting with Kat said...

Happy Birthday.In the UK it's worse you don't see any halloween items until September and then you have to be quick to get of the good items.I make little witches hats so when September comes I go mad buying whatever I can ha ha!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Well I feel better knowing that it's not just here that it seems to be coming late. I did manage to get out to a HomeGoods store today between meetings and at first glance I didn't see anything. Then as I was walking back up to the front of the store, I spied with my little eyes some orange and black over to my right. And it turns out there was ONE yes ONE end cap of Halloween stuff. And of course I was able to find a few things that needed to come home with me. It was my consolation prize for no Halloween on my birthday! There were also a few Halloween scented Yankee candles in another part of the store. But that is just the VERY beginning. I will be going back every couple of days from here on out.

Jennifer, it's funny you mention Cracker Barrel, because my husband suggested we look there this weekend, and I was so bummed about it not being anywhere else that I poo pooed the notion of it being there either and turned down the offer to check it out. Dang it! I will probably run up there tomorrow because I like to always have first dibs before the pickins get slim. And I agree, TJ Maxx, Marshalls and even Ross sometimes have some good Halloween stuff.

Tina, I can't imagine only having a WalMart, mainly because I hate my local WalMart with a passion. I will pay more and go to Target before I'll go there. Although they did have some really cute Easter stuff this past year.

And Kat...do you live in the UK? I didn't realize that if you do. I thought you lived in the states. I've heard that Halloween isn't really celebrated much over there. What a pity if that is true...ha! I'd be with you, running out early to get the good stuff before it's gone! :o)

Jeanne said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!! :0)

I live in the Buckle of the Bible Belt so not many Halloween items are sold here .... I'm looking forward to a trip to the 'Big City' for a Halloween 'fix'!

The Traveler said...

I avoid walmart like the plague as well so I have no idea about walmart, but here it's just micheals and joann's, but they have more hallowee stuff than yours seems to. We even have the halloween house collection and all the party favors and kids crafts. Also if you have any Party America's in your neck of the woods they tend to have some original stuff in there if you get there early.

Sam Hain said...

Maybe it's the Grinch? He could be tired of all those pesky kids banging on his house for candy.

Now that you've mentioned this though, I'm gonna drive by my Michael's to see what's up.

By the way, I wanted to let you know that I included you in my list of favorite blogs. :)

http://thehalloweenblues.blogspot.com/2010/08/best-week-ever.html

Rue said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I'm sorry to hear it didn't go off the way you had hoped.

Halloween merch is later this year. I found a crow and some cute rolls of Halloween ribbon at Michael's but nothing that great. (I haven't checked in the past week though.) I've also been looking for magazines. I was sure that I had found several in July last year, but it's now August - and nothing!

Come on! I need some hope! We don't have Cracker Barrel in Canada, so I'm just going to have to keep waiting...sigh.

Anonymous said...

I just gave you the 101 Blogger Award!
http://trickortreatpete.blogspot.com/2010/08/happy-101-blogger-award.html
Dreaded Dreams
Petunia Scareum

Celia said...

I am too on the east coast and I have noticed the same thing.....some fall stuff out.....but no Halloween stuff. Happy Belated Birthday!