Thursday, May 21, 2009

Witch Doctor Suitcase Art


Okay...this has to be one of the most fantabulously creepy and peculiar pieces of art I've seen in a long time. The creator of this antiquated looking oddity is Dario Robleto. This is from 2003-2004 and was an exhibition housed at the Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art in Austin, Texas. The artist calls this masterpiece, "Hippies And A Ouija Board (Everyone Needs To Cling To Something)". I say mucho kudos for the name alone. But just look at the detail in this piece. This looks like a 'Witch Doctor's' suitcase if ever there were one. Or perhaps it could even belong to a close cousin of Jack the Ripper.

But to truly appreciate the freakish genius of this artistic endeavor, you need to know that the suitcase itself, the Ouija board, and the typeset bottles and medicines were all cast and carved from dehydrated bone calcium and bone dust from EVERY bone in the body, along with a few other choice ingredients! And there are also some various 1960's records that were cast in prehistoric whale bone dust. Now call me crazy...but if that's not morbidly fascinating in it's own right, then I don't know what is. And it does beg the question of where the artist secured such bizarre mediums from which to create, and just whose body EVERY bone came from, does it not?

Additionally, let me just name for you a few of the other eccentric things listed in the items description. The intricate assortment of bottles in the case apparently had every word typeset. And some of the bottle's ingredients include...home brewed moonshine, oak flavoring fortified with 100 year old Hemlock oil, Devil's Claw, witch hazel bark, swamp root, belladonna root, dandelion, sarsaparilla, mandrake, skullcap, cramp bark, horny goat weed, ground pituitary gland, ground wisdom teeth, ground seahorse and shark cartilage. Wow! I am a 'detail' girl, and this is chock full of creepy little details to uncover. I would love to be the owner of this fab little suitcase. I bet it isn't cheap though. Hmmm...I wonder if consuming ground wisdom teeth makes you wise?


4 comments:

Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Okay!!!!!!!! YOUR BLOG IS WONDERFUL....I'm one of those autumn types myself!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Hooray...you have come to visit me on the dark side! I had a hunch you might enjoy this blog! :o) Especially after reading some of your Halloween Perfume Reviews. Those are my all time favorites. Thanks for stopping by Beth. I hope to see more of you around here and in Gypsyville too! Have a magical weekend!

Belle Dee said...

That's super cool. How big is that thing suppose to be, any idea?

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Hey Belle...You know, it didn't give the actual size in the article I read. But I believe that it was supposedly made to scale. In other words, I think the suitcase is the size of a real suitcase because I believe the bottles themselves are real. I think this super cool too, and it would look GREAT amid my Halloween decorations.