Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Art of Ouija

If you gaze for long into an abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you. ~ Nietzsche
Call me weird, and I'll thank you for the compliment. And maybe this will seem weird to some, but I really dig the art of the Ouija Board. There is just something so appealing to me about the graphics, the letters, the numbers and the symbols. Of course everyone knows that Ouija Boards, also known as 'spirit boards' or 'talking boards', are games that are played to connect with the spirits on the other side. They were commercially introduced by Elijah Bond in the late 1890's as a harmless parlor game, not associated with the occult. But it was an American Spiritualist who first made it popular as a divining instrument during World War I. And there have been many sensational stories about it's use ever since. Not the least of which is the board's notorious nasty lil' habit of summoning up demons! Eeegads!

Needless to say....I'm not about to give some evil entity room and board in my house or my psyche for that matter, so I don't actually mess around with these things myself. I'm not taking any chances with that kind of nonsense! But I do fondly remember playing with them when we were kids. I remember the thrill of being a bit scared of what might happen and the thought that a specter might actually be among us. And I remember everyone fighting over whether the movement of the planchette was actually a spirit, or just my obnoxious older brother being irritating. But I can attest to having never been possessed or harassed by any demons upon playing with the Ouija Board, unless of course my aforementioned demonic brother counts as one. And come to think of it, now that I ponder on that concept a little more....I'm starting to connect some dots and believe that could be EXACTLY what happened to him!

Anyway, like I said, I love the art and the various ways people have used it. First there is the diverse multitude of artistic
variations on the board itself. You can find some magnificent versions just by doing a Google search on Ouija Boards. Or you can visit the Museum of Talking Boards on-line gallery pages. Then there are the many clever ways people have taken the Ouija Art and translated it to other items, thereby creating intriguing new works of art. Here are just some of the many ingenious uses of Ouija Art that I've managed to 'summon up'! From guitars and mouse pads to motorcycles, jewelry, lunchboxes and even tattoos. I never cease to be entertained by the craziness cleverness of creative people?! Have any of you ever had an other-worldly experience with a Ouija Board?Yikes!....a Ouija Board Tattoo...now if that isn't an open portal for bodily demonic possession, I don't know what is!

19 comments:

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

That was a really cool post. Look at all those spirit board items!! Fascinating. And I agree with you on the tattoo....that is just tempting fate :D

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I just gave you the Versatile Blogger Award! http://trickortreatpete.blogspot.com/2010/07/deadly-serious-is-versitile-blog.html
Dreaded Dreams
Petunia Scareum

magikalseasons said...

Played as a kid don't mess with them now. I love that site I have a link to it on my blog. I'd like to paint one on canvas one of these days! I did blog about ya a couple posts ago! Didn't want you to think I forgot. :)

Sarah E. Jahier said...

Love this post and love the blog...

I've also given you a Versatile Blogger Award:

http://spookyvegan.blogspot.com/2010/07/spooky-vegan-is-honored-with-versatile.html

Keep up the great work!!

Willow said...

I had a frightening experience with a Ouija board when I was about 10. After that sleepover I never played with one again. I see and hear things without the help of a talking board.

Great post though. I'm amazed at all the different products that use the Ouija design.

Jeanne said...

Great post! I, too, have always found the design of the Ouija Board most entrancing.
I used to play with one when I was a kid with my sister, but nothing otherworldly ever happened.

Anonymous said...

I used one once as a kid at a slumber party but never again after that.

The Traveler said...

considering the way that most search engines work the mouse and pad might actually be an improvement...

AkasaWolfSong said...

Greetings Wendy!
I am new to your blog but I have to tell you I love it here! I'm one of those who love Samhain and Halloween anything!!!!
As for the Ouija board I don't mess with them. Once when I was young I watched my German Grandmother use one when President Kennedy was shot and it spelled out Oswald before they knew who had done it. I can't really say if that is true or not but the feeling I picked up on was creepy to say the least and I have never allowed one in my home or any images of one. I will leave that to the people who know what they are doing. Best not to tempt The Fates!
Many Blessings...

greekwitch said...

I never played with one but boy do i want to(but not in my home either)?
:(
Brightest blessings

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Well first of all...a big thank you to Trick or Treat Pete and The Spooky Vegan for bestowing the Versatile Blogger Award upon me, much obliged! And nice to meet you Alaska Wolf Song and wow what a story you had to share...yikes!

Yeah...I agree, I'm not tempting fate by messing around with one of these things. But I can't help it, I just love the artwork and I would even have images of them in my home or one sitting around for that matter. I'd just never use the thing. Ha! In fact, I'm starting some work on some Ouija Art of my own after being inspired by all this creativity! :o)

Fear Street said...

Wendy, this is my first time reading your blog and I just wanted to say that it's gorgeous and I love it!!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Nice to meet you Fear Street. Welcome to The Hallowe'en Tree and thank you so much for your feedback! :o)

Celia said...

I love this post! I have a small key chain Ouija Board and I just love it! I used to mess with it when I was a kid/teenager with one of my best friends. We had a few "scary" things happen.....but it was all in fun and games....I can't say any of it was true.....I just know I didn't move the thing!

Halloweenman666 said...

Hey this is Jason over at HalloweenOverkill and I just wanted to send you your official email from me telling you that I passed on the versatile blogger award to you, can you email me at halloweenoverkill@gmail.com so I can have your email address on hand?

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Celia...it's the thrill of not knowing what is real or that makes it so fun right?! :o)

Well thank you HalloweenMan. I must have been a good girl to have this honor bestowed upon me by 3 different peeps. Thank you for considering me! :o)

Sadako said...

Ouija boards fascinate me as well. I love them though I've never used one, but I associate them with horror books like the Exorcist. Spooky things and all that.

Love your blog name. Is it a ref to the Bradbury story?

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Nice to meet you Sadako! :o)
Yes...you are correct! It is in reverence to the great Halloween Tree of Ray Bradbury!

Stephanie D said...

Ooo, cool Ouija board pics! I've been searching some out on eBay, to use in my Gypsy Curse tent for this year. I do think I'll draw the line at a tatoo, however.