I am beginning my Color Collages this month with one of my favorite Hallowe'en Inspirations.....The Apothecary! In fact, I love Apothecaries so much that I designed my entire Hallowe'en Decor on them. So what color IS an Apothecary anyway? Or rather, what color comes to your mind's eye when you think of an Apothecary?For me it would have to be Brown....a dark, muted shade that is derived from the many dusty old Brown and Clear bottles sitting up on the shelf. The creamy Tans of their yellowing labels, weathered and peeling with age. The rich Brown wood of a mortar and pestle used to pulverize spices and herbs. And the dark, Burnt Umber Browns of the large Apothecary Cabinet with its many small drawers that house the magical ingredients for the Potions, Compounds, Bitters and Elixirs.
So what Color do you associate with an Apothecary...and why?
(All images found on We [heart] It)


10 comments:
I was hoping you would do these again. WOOT!
Tricky that. Browns and tans are very good based on what you say. I also like reds and greens for the many plants used in the concoctions.
And then there is always black. Black for iron implements used for rendering (oh and brass too) and cooking down.
Yay Wendy! It's almost Halloween!
I love the Magnifying Glass as well as the old scales...
Have a Great Week and watch out for things that go bump in the night, cackle, cackle.
Love Ya Girl!
Akasa
Oh yes! Dirty and grungy is an apothecary!
Brown, I guess. Or more a mocha/coffee color, along with off-white or cream. :)
I thought gloomy green first, but brown fits so much better. Apothecaries can be such spooky places, and very practical for the Jekylls and Frankensteins of fiction.
I love your colour collage boards! I tend to associate an apothecary with a weathered beige tone. The colour of faded labels on dusty bottles.
In the olden days, pharmacies would advertise themselves with brightly colored vials hung outside the shop. The more complex the shade, the better the chemist, see?
Well I guess a lot of us have the same idea when comes to apothecaries...brown, tan, dusty, dark, dirty! I am so drawn to all the drawers and instruments and bottles and tools. Just love me a good apothecary! :o)
LOL on the candy kids don't want, I would prefer chocolate too :) I wish I had trick or treaters, I live in the dark woods of a rural area where no child would ever go. I still decorate for myself.
Hugs,
Victoria
Post a Comment