Friday, October 26, 2012

Scents of the Season

 “At no other time (than autumn),
does the earth let itself be inhaled in one smell, the ripe earth." 
~ Ranier Maria Rilke
 What does Autumn smell like to you?  We've actually discussed this on my blog before actually.  Many people connect the smell of Earth and Moss and Decaying Leaves with Fall.  Others lean toward the spicy scents of Cinnamon and Pumpkin.  What about the smell of Halloween?  Is it more 'witchy', with the scents of Patchouli, Cardamon, Licorice, Wood Smoke and Incense?  Or sweet and gooey, like Caramel Popcorn, Candy Apples and Candy Corn?  Honestly, any of the above scents will work to remind me of my most favorite season of Autumn and my favorite holiday Halloween.  I just ADORE scented things....I mean, I am a hoarder of room sprays, scented oils, incense, candles and perfume!  The power of scent is so evocative, and has the ability to transport you right back to a place and time in your past, just by closing your eyes and inhaling the scent deeply.  Not to mention that scent can also be very therapeutic and healing when used in aromatherapy applications.
So imagine my utter delight this season, when I learned that I was the winner of a Give-Away from The Pumpkin Cottage Press!  I rarely enter Give-Aways unless it's something I know I would love to have, because I don't want to deprive someone else of having something they'd love to have, just because I like to enter any and all Give-Aways regardless of whether I am interested in them, or can use the product. So I like to wait until something really peaks my interest and is specific to me for whatever reason.  And even then, the inherent problem is that I am historically not particularly lucky in prize drawing scenarios....so I usually don't hold my breath to win since it happens so infrequently.  But the Pumpkin Cottage Press Blog had posted a most wonderful Give-Away that was right up my Witchy lil', scent loving alley, and I could not resist throwing my name into the Witch's Hat.


I entered, then we took off to New England on Vacation.  And I was so stressed with travel details and whatnot, that the Give-Away had almost slipped my mind.  But by the good graces of the Great Pumpkin, I was fated to win....(thank you Great Pumpkin and The Pumpkin Cottage)!  So yesterday I received a splendidly enchanting package in the mail, and in it were the most amazing scented products!  There was a beautiful Hallow's Eve Potpourri...and I say beautiful, because not only did it smell amazing, but it had lovely dried Sunflower Heads, Indian Corn, Pine Cones and Mini Pumpkin Pods in it!  I can't wait to set this out in a bowl.  Also in the box were Scented Star Soaps in two magical scents of Jack O'Lantern and King of the Harvest!  ( I just adore all the names!)  I am a huge lover of 'details'....so the exquisite craftsmanship of these products, coupled with the delicious seasonal smells and festive names, was just pure bliss for my senses to behold.  But that wasn't all, there was also a cute Bat Gift Tag, a lovely Scented Hanging Ornament and some decadent Vanilla Spiced Pumpkin Body Creme as well.  Each thing smelled just as fabulous as the next.
In fact, the products and packaging were so lovely, that I just had to shoot some product shots straight away....I was inspired! As a photographer, I really enjoy product shots, because 'still life' items can't move or blink...ha!  So I made sure to showcase them in an Autumnal setting befitting the Magic that they brought to me this Halloween!  I want to send a big Thank You and virtual hug to The Pumpkin Cottage!  This package has truly been one of the biggest highlights of my Autumn Season thus far!  I've just learned that The Pumpkin Cottage also has her own shop on Etsy, and I can HIGHLY recommend purchasing!  (Just click on the Pumpkin Cottage links.) And trust me, I am very picky about scented things, so I would not endorse something unless I really truly loved it, not even if I won it!  I feel that The Pumpkin Cottage products were BETTER than anything I could have gotten from Bath and Body Works and prettier too, no kidding!  And as an artist, I encourage folks to purchase more 'hand-crafted' items from talented artisans of all kinds.  I only wish I had 'smell-o-vision' on my blog so that I could delight you all with delicious scent of Autumn in these products. So what scents do you love most for Fall and Halloween?

10 comments:

Ms Misantropia said...

Such wonderful treats! I am a little jealous... :)

Jeanne said...

A wonderful endorsement! She has an Etsy shop but I think she is on vacation at the moment. Here's the link I found. http://www.etsy.com/shop/pumpkincottage?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a nice posting about the items from the giveaway. I do sell on etsy and here is that link:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pumpkincottage?ref=si_shop

Your pictures really are fantastic! I am so happy you are enjoying the items! Thanks again Wendy :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara F. said...

Congrats on the win, something near and dear to your heart. That is wonderful. Everything sounds great. Wish I could smell all of it. xo

AkasaWolfSong said...

Congratulations Wendy...Your gifts look luscious! :)

I'm a scents person too, although I have not used them so much in recent years with my COPD, but that doesn't mean I still don't love smelling them.

The smells of Autumn are the earthy smells of Mother Earth for me. But then I think of Halloween smells, like pumpkin, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, apples, and a good wood fire. Candy smells not so much. Whatever, I'm just in love with this time of year!

Have a great weekend Dear Lady!
(((Big Hugs)))
P.S. Going to go and check out Pumpkin Cottage. :)

Guillaume said...

Funny, I wanted to blog exactly about it, the smell of autumn and Halloween! So I will answer your question in a post.

Word verification: ddeater. Like Death Eater?

Stephanie D said...

Congratulations! What a cool giveaway! I think I'll head on over there and check it out.

Jennifer said...

That's so awesome!
Congrats!

The Gill-Man said...

Congrats on the win! I'm glad I'm not the only one who hoards scents! The wife is constantly telling me "really honey, did we need ANOTHER pumpkin scented candle"? I have to reply "but...this one is pumpkin and vanilla!"