Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Haunted House for Sale

For those of you who have been searching long and hard for that perfect 'Haunted House' to buy and inhabit....I have great news! Yes, one of the premier Haunted Houses in America is now up for sale. The "Amityville Horror House" in NY, is now on the market for a mere $1.15 million. By my accounts, that makes the selling price far more terrifying than the house itself. But then again, how can you truly put a price tag on a bonafide, real life Haunted House like the Amityville Horror House? Not only does it have an authentic 'bloody' background story, but it's also been made famous by Hollywood in an original 1979 horror movie (and some bad remakes). The background is that the DeFeo family who lived in the house, met their untimely demise at the hand of the disturbed eldest son Ronald DeFeo Jr., who shot and killed both of his parents, two brothers and two sisters execution style while they slept in their beds.

The house was later bought and inhabited by George and Kathy Lutz who lived there for a month, reportedly experiencing assorted psychic phenomena and an onslaught of terror at the hands of demonic spirits. They eventually fled the house. A book was written, the now famous movie "The Amityville Horror" was made, and the rest is not only history, but is apparently widely debated and often disputed.
But the fact remains that this was indeed a true house of horrors in it's past, and is thereby considered to be a 'Haunted House' by many. And although its appearance has been altered to try and conceal its identity and slow the progression of curious on-lookers (especially at Halloween)....it is now up for sale, with all ghosts included! Muwahaha!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right; that price is scarier than any history the house may or may not have!

magikalseasons said...

I think they lost the charm when they changed the eye windows! The price is very scary. I watched a show on the house recently fasinating tale.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Want!

Cheers!

Guillaume said...

I feel sorry for the many owners of that house. I watched the original movie and I was sorely disappointed. It is really bad. It made no sense at all, there was no plot to speak of and worst of all it fails to be scary (which kind of sucks when you rented it to be scared, like I had done). If it is anything like the claims of the Lutz, no wonder their story was greeted with skepticism. After watching the movie, I read about the case and, while I think the Lutz were sincere, I don't believe any paranormal activity ever took place.

That said, even though I really disliked the movie, there are a few good elements about it: the house itself is really spooky and there are a few genuinly creepy moments, most of them at the beginning.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

I liked the 'eye windows' too, gave it more character. As far as the movie goes, I was fairly young when it came it out so I really don't remmeber a whole lot about it believe it or not. And after all these years, I still haven't gone back to re-watch it. And as for the claims of the paranormal, some sites I saw seemed to do a lot of de-bunking of them so whose to really say. I guess any ghost story is a good ghost story whether it's true or not....ha!

Guillaume said...

Oh, I also love ghost stories, urban legends and any kind of folklore, whether they are true or not. They are all good material for scary stories.

Tisha Leigh said...

This story later came out to be a hoax-at least the part about the hauntings. I remember seeing the movie and being creeped out by it, too, and then I heard it ended up being fake. Personally, I would not want to live in a house where such horrible murders took place. It would be hard to live somewhere where you know someone had died.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Yeah...I'm with you PQ. I could NOT live where I knew people had been murdered. It would have to have bad energy if nothing else. I'm too easily spooked for that.