I have a busy weekend coming up, so this may be my last post until next week, depends on how the weekend goes. So I wanted to get in at least one "Easter" post, so here it is. Hope everyone has a great weekend!When I saw these 'Hallowe'en Eggs' I couldn't help but recollect my favorite Easter cartoon from childhood that I love every bit as much today as I did back then. And that would be the old 1971 stop-motion TV special, "Here Comes Peter Cottontail". What is funny to me about that particular cartoon is the very reason I loved it so much. In case you don't remember it, Peter lost the Easter Bunny competition to old January Q. Irontail. A dastardly evil rabbit with an iron tail, who was voiced by none other than the great Vincent Price. Irontail lived in a creepy cave with his sidekick Montresor the bat, and was comrades with the ghouls that populated Halloweentown. In order for Peter to go back in time and deliver the most eggs so he could win...he had to travel in a time machine
with Antoine the caterpillar serving as pilot.What was so captivating to me, was how they would crash land through the calendar pages every month that had a holiday to celebrate. And of course October was Peter's trip into Halloween town where he painted the eggs similar to those above, in order to get the inhabitants of Halloween town to take them. There he encountered a Witch among other Ghosts and Goblins. And THAT is the part that always stuck in my memory bank. Not the Easter scenes of jellybeans and bonnets...but Old Irontail and the Hauntingly Happy Halloweentown. I've included Part 4 from YouTube as it is the part that has Peter landing in October at Halloween time! I think we will paint our eggs like this tomorrow for Easter and see if we can find any takers!


6 comments:
Thanks for posting the clip. I remember this now.:) I found some wooden halloween eggs at Michaels. I need to go find them! You should make some Halloweenie ones. Post some pics if you get a chance!
My kinda Easter eggs! Fitting, since in the past few days I've been working on my scarecrow!
Becca...my kids love Halloween, but I'm not sure if they'll let me get away with pumpkin eggs or not...ha. If they do, I'll certainly post some pics! And Gill, it's never too early to be working on a scarecrow my friend! :o)
Ha! Love the Halloween themed Easter eggs!
Oh! I love Irontail!
I've been wanting to pick up a copy of Peter Cottontail on DVD.
It's an annual tradition in our house. Plus there is a newer animated version out too that is really good. Has Irontail in it as well!
Post a Comment