Okay....so I'm interested to know how the weather has been where you guys are at in the world. I can't speak for the weather elsewhere, but here in Florida it's been HOT! Unseasonably warm all through Oct, Nov, Dec and now January. We just had our first real 2 day cold snap last week, and now it's back to warm again. My trees are in a state of confusion. They are attempting to bud already. BUT... I knew it was going to be a warmer than usual Winter early on this year. How did I know? Because I'm a Good Witch who can see into the future of course....and, the Wise Old Oaks told me so.Okay....not exactly. But I did have a little foresight provided by my late Grandfather who was a Wizard.....(or not)! I like to think he had some 'magic' in his blood, but that is just conjecture and never a proven fact. All the same....the man did have some interesting ways to predict future events....like the Winter ahead. Now both my Father and Grandfather were business owners and 'Growers'. They owned greenhouses that shipped indoor plants across the country, back when indoor plants were all the rage. As growers, they held many beliefs about how to predict the growing season ahead, and winter was important since a very cold winter in Florida could do a lot of damage to the citrus, ferns and plants.
So my Grandfather always turned to the Wise Old Oaks for the answer. If the oak trees gave forth an abundant amount of acorns in the fall, then it was sure to be a long, cold winter. However, if they put forth none...then it would be short and mild. That makes sense....the Oaks know! Guess they don't call them the 'wise' old Oaks for nothing...ha! But they do somehow seem to know when to provide lots of food for the birds and squirrels for a cold winter ahead. And when it's as mild as it is here this year....the squirrels have no need to store away food and hide in their nests to keep warm....they are able to be out and about doing their thing as usual. Hence the complete absence of any acorns this year.
I'm not sure if that particular forecasting would just hold true here in Florida, or if those are universal beliefs....but as I've grown up, I've found it to be a tried and true method of prediction. Another fun one that my Grandfather used to tell us, pertained to the rain and our swimming pool. Now I realize the ancestors didn't have swimming pools per se, but I'm assuming his theory could have been applied to any small or large body of water. But what he always said was....if the rain makes bubbles on the top of the water in the pool when it rains...it means it's gonna rain all day long, you're in it for the long haul. And don't you know, that it always proves true?! If there are bubbles on the pool, it rains slow and steady all day.... if there aren't, it usually rains and then clears on out. Why is that you ask? I actually have no idea on that one, I just know it always holds true at my house.
And these predictions got me thinking on the Old Farmer's Almanac. Are you familiar with that little annual magazine? It's basically a yearly collection of information on the upcoming year's events such as dates, tides, sun/moon times, phenomenon and weather/crop predictions for the year ahead. They also make known the best times for planting crops, fishing and even when to get your hair cut if you want it to grow or not to grow. It was first invented/published in the 1800's by founder, David Young. The formula used to make these predictions supposedly relies on "sunspots, moon phases and other astronomical and atmospheric factors and conditions." But even more interesting is the fact that this 'formula' is a very closely guarded secret.
But it gets even better...the name/s of the current 'forecaster' is never made known, and they have all gone by the pseudonym of 'Caleb Weatherbee' since the death of the founder, David Young. Also, the almanac refers to its forecaster as a 'prognosticator'. That's one who is a 'seer', 'prophet' or 'visionary'. They 'foretell' the future, but they do so by basing their prediction on current facts or indicators. And in the case of the Farmer's Almanac, those predictions are made by the mysterious 'Mr. Weatherbee', a full two years in advance.So how accurate are Caleb Weatherbee's predictions? Apparently these almanacs' predictions are said to have about an 80-85% accuracy rate. Considering local weather predictions are accurate up to 65% within a 3-5 day range, and then lessen further to a 55-65% chance as the range goes beyond 7 days.....2 YEARS in advance sounds quite impressive to me. And these 'predictions' were made in the past without the vast technology we have at our disposal today. So what do you suppose is in that 'secret formula' for prediction anyway? And why is it such a closely guarded secret?
Honestly, it sounds a lot like the natural methods our ancestors have used for years....relying on Mother Nature herself, and the cosmos above.....the moon, the stars, the sun! All the natural knowledge of any good witch or wizard. Which brings me back to my Grandfather....a man who seemed to me to possess a little magic with his 'knowledge'. He could fix anything , grow anything and invent anything. But beyond that, he was even struck by lightening not once, but twice, and lived to tell the tale. However, my favorite magical thing about him was his ability to 'wish' warts away. Yep, I watched him 'wish' countless warts away from friends and family over the years. I personally got one wart on my pinky finger when I was a young girl. It popped up out of no where, so I asked him to 'wish' it away. He examined it a bit, rubbed it, then told me not to think about it for awhile and it would go away. And within a few weeks it was gone, without any treatment at all. I never had another one before or since.
Of course my friends didn't believe me, but the family knew it was true. So I always loved it when I could find a friend who had one so that I could prove to them I was telling the truth. I asked my Grandfather how he did it, and he'd say that he couldn't tell me. But then at a subsequent 'pestering' for the secret, he'd say there really was no trick to it, you just send them away. Once I even made him promise that he'd at least tell one person, preferably ME.....the secret to how it's done before he died. He'd just laugh and agree. But dang him, he took that little bit of magic to the grave with him, wouldn't you know!So was he magic? Was he a Wizard? Or did he just use the Farmer's Almanac perhaps....we'll never know. But I am quite certain that the old Bertrand Russell quote is true...."the world is full of magical things just waiting for our wits to grow sharper." I believe some of us are able to tap into those magical things....the knowledge of nature, of the cosmos, and even of the unknown! So have any of you ever used the Farmer's Almanac for anything....and did it work?
Images: 1.) Oak - Mystic Lady Tumblr 2.) Squirrel - Wiki Common 3.)Rain - weheartit 4.) Farmer's Almanac 5.) Old Ways - Tumblr 6.) Lightening - Inn at Clearwater Pond


11 comments:
I use than guide for all my gardening....been the best forecaster for spring planting. I swear by it :)
Cheers!
Hi Wendy & Happy New Year! Your Grandfather was a wise man. I love how he wished your wart away, perhaps he really was a wizard!
The weather up here in Michigan has been very warm. No snow really and I have to tell ya our Oaks did not produce a lot of acorns this past Fall.
I have used farmers almanacs and moon sign almanacs for seed planting. I will say it is does produce stronger seedlings. :) Becca
Wonderful post! A resounding yes on the Farmer's Almanac. Living here on the Canadian prairies the Almanac is a staple in every farm home. At the beginning of the year it is available on shelves from the smallest corner store right on up to the big box stores. It is uncannily correct on the weather patterns we experience every year.
This year it was spot on stating that we could expect warmer than usual temperatures and less snow. At this moment in time that is absolutely the case as we have been setting records here all through January! We have yet to shovel snow...in Saskatchewan...where we would usually have 3 to 4 feet by now!
I also believe that we must be attuned to nature, she gives us all the information we need if we pay attention, a skill largely lost in this technological society.
Really enjoyed your post!
Here in Houston, the weather is ping-ponging back and forth between cold and hot. Two days ago, it was in the 70's. Tomorrow it should be in the 30's!! Naturally, I'm staying in a state of perpetual sickness because of this!!
It's been weird in SE Michigan, too. We haven't gotten hardly any snow at all this season & can just wear a hoodie around on errands & to/from work.
I don't have any close oaks, but my big maples didn't drop as many helicopter seed things as usual. Maybe they know, too?
All of life is about where a person is on the awareness scale. The more aware and awake you are as an individual the more you "see" that which exists in the world and that which is hidden as well.
The very act of telling someone something with conviction and true belief often makes it so...the mind is a very powerful thing. ("Wart be gone!") I think your Granddaddy was probably more aware than your average person and passed that on to you. Group behavior is especially fascinating to watch as people form memes.
I like the idea of magic existing in the world (much like Walt Disney). Magical thinking comes from within, either you choose to believe or not. When you say yes to it you open up doors to creativity and wonder. You believe in your own dreams and what you can achieve.
If anyone here hasn't seen the film "I AM", please consider checking it out. It discusses how truly connected we all are.
http://www.iamthedoc.com
p.s. We have has a very mild Winter in Seattle, no snow for the most part
Here in England the weather has been warmish. Quite warm for January actually. But we had a really messed up year in 2011: the hottest April in history, with heatwaves and all, followed by the coldest summer in twenty years, then the hottest autumn, then the warmest winter, in spite of their fear of another white snowy Apocalypse. I was hoping for a cold autumn because of the cool July we had. Was I wrong.
Infact, the only place that was genuinely cold was this flat.
I live in Wisconsin, and it's been like Spring up until today. It was 50 degrees yesterday, and that's bizarre for mid January in Wisconsin. Today, we got hit with the first snow fall of the winter! I'm not super pleased about that, but I'm grateful to have had the nice weather as long as we did. The weather has been so strange for everyone in the U.S. this winter!
Well I can clearly see that I am not alone in having this warmer winter so far. Usually I get bummed when it's not cold for Christmas, but this year I just didn't give a hoot. And honestly, once New Year's is over, I'm done with Winter anyway and am ready for the Spring. Also interesting to see that some of you are already fans of the Farmers Almanac...I love that it has continued on for all this time. I feel nostalgic about it really.
Oh and Cat...you always have such great insight to add. We remain kindred souls! Going to go check out the film and try to find my way back to your blog again. I find it very hard to access blogs that aren't hosted on blogger from my blogger blog...if that makes any sense. Some I just can't at all. I will go check my emails and contact you that way if I have problems! Sending you lots of love and light and positivity for the new year my friend! :o)
HI! I see you've been busy posting again, I must catch up! If you can't find my page, just type in "giolovesyou" in your URL where it says "thehalloweentree". Easy.
I have a widget that lists my friends and their latest post is on top, so often when I post in mine I go to yours if there is something new.
p.s. Our Winter is no longer mild, a huge snowstorm has hit the NW--we currently have 4" and some areas have up to 20" of snow.
Post a Comment