Thursday, November 19, 2009

What a Hoot!

So remember in my last post how I spoke of the mind's ability to see patterns in random objects and data? Well I thought I'd share with you a most splendid specimen of that very concept. You see one night a couple of months back, we were in a gymnasium, watching my daughter practice Volleyball. And my son was climbing around on the bleachers to waste time. The seats were made of plastic, but the floor part where your feet go, was made of wood.

Now most of you who know me, know that I have a strong affinity for Owls. I collect owl necklaces and the Owl is one of my totem animals. So of course my
son knows how much I like owls also, and he is in the habit of notifying me whenever he happens to spot one somewhere.

And on that particular night, he must have been studying the floorboards....or perhaps it was just a completely random sighting....but he called me up to the top bleacher to show me what he had found, and it was this image.....

Now just how cool is that? There in the completely random grains of the wood was a perfect Owl. Now you can call us 'Believers' or crazy folks who see things...but this sure looks like an Owl to us! never would have even ventured up to the top row, let alone paid attention to the wood I was walking on. But he did, and I thought it was just fab enough to share. And when I read that article about finding patterns in randomness, it made me think to share this neat little discovery. Of course I had no regular camera with me, so this was shot on my cell phone. I think it still turned out pretty good. And also I think our ability to spot patterns amid randomness is a handy and fun little attribute to have, don't you? :o)
Photos © Wendy A. (All Rights Reserved)

12 comments:

suzanne said...

Neat! I love the way images pop out of everyday objects when you least expect it :)

Guillaume said...

I love owls too. I probably mentioned it before, but they are the origins of many ghost stories.

greekwitch said...

That is definitely an owl!

magikalseasons said...

Amazing owl find! Reminds me of the doors in the home I grew up in. They were wood and you could find all kinds of faces in the grain. Ours our painted white so no grain. Love owls too. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen was a very large owl in my yard going after a groundhog. This owl was huge. May have stood up to my knees or higher. He never got the groundhog but the site was amazing. This was not at night it was early morning.Whoot Whoot. Sorry I know I'm a geek.:)

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Well I'm glad to know that I am not the only Owl lover. And your sighting sounds fantastic Becca.

About a year or two ago...I was spotting them around my home constantly. One was chasing a snake, another was sitting in the tree by my front door, screeching like an injured child. Scared me like crazy, I thought one of the kids were hurt. Turns out my husband had scared him when he opened the door to let the dogs out. Then the kids and I followed the owl as it flew from light pole to street sign down the road. When he finally came to a stop, he was sitting in front of my best friend of 30 year's house, who had just passed away earlier in the year. It was really neat and a little strange. And I also hear them hooting in the mornings here as well.

And Guillaume, with a screech like that, it's no surprise they are the origins of ghost stories...ha!

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Definately looks like an owl!!

Cheers!

Rue said...

You definitely have owls following you! I love that!

Nar said...

This may sound strange, but my guinea pig Arlo's behind kinda looked like an owl. *L* He was a whirly-swirly pig, and the way the rosettes lay on his lower back gave him an "owl butt". That was one of my nicknames for him.

Bridgett said...

Definitely looks like an owl to me. Quite a cute one too. :)

)O(
boo

Judith said...

LOL I've always done that! My bathroom wallpaper is random flecks of color, and I'm always finding things and people in the patterns

Belle Dee said...

That is the coolest!!

Sandra Riffero said...

Hi, Wendy! I finally added a blog to my account here and was reading this story. You have to read a new post of mine, you'll see we are right in sync again...it'll make you smile. It's called, "Owls, They're Everywhere". :)